Thursday 21 June 2012

Finished just in time!

I have been working really hard this past week to finish my Retro Modern quilt. I was planning to give this to my niece for her 18th birthday, which is this coming weekend. I had thought that we wouldn't be seeing her until August so I have been doing it just in my monthly class. Over the Jubilee weekend, my sister in law invited us to a birthday lunch this weekend! This has meant that I have been 'extreme sewing' this past week. I have hand quilted a motive in the setting blocks and machine quilted the blocks. I finally finished sewing on the binding this morning. Phew... I have made it. I will make a label for it in class tomorrow. So for the big reveal...


I am really pleased with how it has turned out. The hand quilting could have been done in a thicker thread but I have now run out of time to change it. 
I hope that she will like it and will treasure it. For my 18th birthday my Grandmother gave me a series of paintings, done by herself, depicting nature through the four seasons. This is so precious to me and has moved with me throughout my single life, from nurses' homes and flats, through to my own flat and then to my home when I got married. I would like to think that my niece uses this quilt to make her own student room homely when she leaves home next year. I will let you know her reaction.


Just to keep you up to date with the "Let's get Acquainted" blog hop the blogs to hop to this week are 

June 19
    Jennifer from Sewlandia
    Nicole from Mama Love Quilts
June 21
    Suzanne from SuzClaas
    Mina from Kindaquilty
Di xo

13 comments:

  1. Di, it is stunning. I love the pattern and the colours. Your niece will absolutely love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lvely Di! And I know how stressful it can be sewing to a tight deadline. I am sure your niece will treasure it for years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Di - I love the blocks on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure she will treasure this. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful I'm sure she'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi from the Brit Quilt swap. Well done for getting the quilt finished, such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Di! It's so lovely to give heirloom gifts for special occasions. Hope she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turned out briliantly Di! I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stars are each wonderful and all together they are great! I would love it, I am sure your niece will too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt and over course she will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - well done Di for stepping it up to get it finished!

    I am sure it will remind her of family when at uni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's going to be thrilled when she opens it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. stunning! I am sure it will be treasured forever!

    ReplyDelete